Hudson 'exceeds expectations' on District Report Card
While kids in the district are bringing home, or preparing to bring home report cards, the Hudson School District has received a report card of its own. The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) has released its annual school report cards.
Hudson's overall score of 82.2 puts the district in the "Exceeds Expectations" category, earning it four of five stars. That is up from last year's overall score of 78.5.
"We continue to make improvements across the district," said District Superintendent Nick Ouellette. "We are obviously happy that the district as a whole 'exceeds expectations' by the state with several buildings 'significantly exceeding expectations.'"
Those buildings include Hudson Prairie, River Crest and EP Rock elementaries, Ouellette said.
Ouellette said the district's report card scores show that implementation of a new math curriculum has positively impacted student achievement.
"We did a great job this past year implementing our new math curriculum with fidelity," Ouellette said. "I think we need to continue to build on that type of implementation in other areas of curriculum as well."
Ouellette said the district is analyzing the information in the district's report cards: the overall district-wide report card, as well as individual schools' report cards. He said it is too soon to tell if the district might make any changes based on the report card results.
The report cards are only one way the district monitors success. Ouellette said staff are working on district, building, and department scorecards that measure various data to ensure the district is meeting the needs of the students and community.
"We are always striving to improve," said Ouellette, "and we look forward to working with all stakeholders in the Hudson community to provide an outstanding education for all kids."
DPI's district report cards focus on four areas:
• Student achievement: This focuses on English language arts and mathematics achievement.
• District growth: This focuses on English language arts and mathematics growth.
• Closing gaps: This focuses on English Language Arts and mathematics achievement gaps, and graduation rate gaps.
• On-track and postsecondary readiness: This focuses on graduation rate, attendance rate, third grade English language arts achievement, and eighth grade mathematics achievement.
Hudson's scores are as follows:
• Overall: 82.2
• Student achievement: 77.9/100
• District growth: 74.6/100
• Closing gaps: 84/100
• On-track and postsecondary readiness: 90.2/100
By comparison the state averages are:
• Student achievement: 63.0/100
• District Growth: 66.0/100
• Closing gaps: 67.9/100
• On-track and postsecondary readiness: 85/100